The bloggers’ reviews of Serenity are slowing to a trickle, but the mainstream reviews are starting to turn up (it’s running a respectable 80% Fresh over at Rottentomatoes). Ebert certainly seemed to like it, as did David Edelstein (of NPR and Slate fame), while Harry “I’d Sell My Soul For A Chilli Cheese Dog” Knowles was underwhelmed. The New York Magazine demands that you go see it or they’ll kill a kitten while WIRED calls it nearly as soulful, charming and funny as Firefly.
On to the blogger reax:
- Daniel Drezner breaks down the Whether you’ll like Serenity question based upon the type of moviegoer you are, but politely suggests that you .”go see the goram movie”.
- Mary Katherine (of Townhall.com fame) enjoyed it, despite her Firefly novice status.
- Matt Moore asks that you go see the movie this weekend so that they’ll make another, if you please.
- Jacob T. Levy calls it ante-raising and really, really good.
- Matthew Yglesias enjoyed it, although he objected to the treatment the Alliance came in for at Whedon’s hands.
- MurdocOnline thought it was quite good, but he was underwhelmed by the “Blogger Bonanza” portion of the shindig.
- Todd Wiley thought it was the movie he’s always wanted, only now he’s not so sure he really wanted it.
- Dorkafork says it has the best movie dialog since Pulp Fiction.
- TBOTCOTW calls it very, very satisfying.
- Internet Freedom Trail says it’s sure to please sci-fi fans.
- XDA liked it a lot
- Doc In The Box says you won’t be disappointed.
- Bizzyblog calls it the freshest sci-fi projects to hit the screen in a while
- The Speculist enjoyed it.
- Bad State of Gruntledness claims that Whedon’s made the transition from TV to film, and successfully at that.