For instance, this is the single best video of a squirrel slingshot you are likely to see. Ever.
A Bountiful Link-Filled Catch-Up
I am fully cognizant of my delinquent blogging — apologies all around. I’ve been in full recovery mode since taking the redeye from SFO to PHL on Friday night. Short observations on that flight? Sucked like a brand-new Dyson 07 with the full pet hair kit. Stupid US Airways.
In exchange for my previous silence, please accept this surplus of links.
This is my kind of math: 1 rainy/icy racetrack + multiple expensive race cars + a massive pileup = millions of USD/GBP in damage, 0 fatalities. Nice.
WordPress converts aplenty: Michelle Malkin moved from an On’B MT-powered site to a brand-spankin’ WordPress one. Jeff Goldstein dumped Emotion Engine for WordPress, while Fred Thompson’s official blog was built from the ground-up using WP.
iPhone-tailored apps (read: websites for the iPhone’s tiny Safari browser) have already started hitting the streets, thus an aggregation site was nigh-inevitable, of course.
The Payback Project — stickin’ it to sucka GOP Senatorz that be all “We’ll vote to let the illegals ignore our laws ’cause then they’ll totally vote for us. Or maybe their kids will.” “Teach the GOP to respect their base again — the hard way” — fo’ sheezy.
Speaking of “fo’ sheezy”: Geek bling keyboard rings. To paraphrase a certain incarcerated celebrity heiress: “That’s Ctrl-Alt-Del hot.”
Life as a videogame character? It has its plusses and minuses.
LOLCODE: taking both the lolcats meme and programming where both probably ne’er should have ventured. LOLBOTS, on the other hand, is the utlimate incarnation of the joke.
John Hodgman as Steve Jobs in the intro to WWDC last week:
Speaking of WWDC, I posted my crappy cameraphone pics from the conference over at my Zooomr page.
Can’t forget the transforming Transformers cosplayers:
Get Bused, Get Omnibused
It’s that time again — time for some bigtime link aggregation. So strap in and enjoy the ride, y’all.
PA liquor laws are stupid, unpopular. Sky blue, Pope Catholic, Queen English.
I pride myself on being a bit of a geek, but getting the real Boba Fett to show up and object to your Star Wars/Labyrinth-themed wedding is just off the charts.
USA Today writers: tragically unhip, they pine for earlier days and shake their fists impotently at those “darn kids”.
Rope-less jumprope? Stupidest. Idea. EVER.
Christopher Hitchens has a brother and, wouldn’t you know it, they’re polar opposites. What a weird world we live in.
A former police chief and retired USMC captain restrain an unruly airline passenger to applause, excepting the chief’s wife who
barely looked up from “The Richest Man in Babylon,” the book she was reading.
“The woman sitting in front of us was very upset and asked me how I could just sit there reading,” Katie Hayden said. “Bob’s been shot at. He’s been stabbed. He’s taken knives away. He knows how to handle those situations. I figured he would go up there and step on somebody’s neck, and that would be the end of it. I knew how that situation would end. I didn’t know how the book would end.”
The Movable Type 4 beta has been released and MT4 will be licensed under an open source license. I’m downloading as we speak and will eval it ASAP.
The Camino browser hit 1.5 today. Excellent browser, much more Mac-ish than Firefox. Still no Firebug, though…
Those jihadi sons of motherless goats have introduced a new weapon in the Iraqi theater. Oh, the
I love liberal columnists. A philandering, faithless Chief Executives that lied under oath to a Federal grand jury, hey, no problem! An ex-VP and Presidential candidate takes to the Convention stage and lays a huge, creepy, tongue-filled kiss on his wife? More’s the better! But let a GOP Significant Other or two show off their natural assets and you’d think the whole country were headed straight into the toilet.
Screencast-o-Matic: nifty idea, “meh” implementation.
A Q & A with lots of A’s with two of the writer/producers of NBC’s Heroes. Well worth the time investment to read.
Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer, serially uncool:
A history of video games:
I give it an “A” for concept, a “C” for actually including decent/ground-breaking games.
Fallout 3 is coming. Hooo boy!
New MacBook Pros are out, and man!, are they spiffy.
Random Links: Little Rays Of Orthogonal Sunlight For Your Dreary Lives
Frank J. offers a FAQ from the White House in re: the forthcoming
illegal-immigration amnesty- and crime-enablingreform bill. To wit:
Q. I’m concerned that the immigration bill focuses more on giving illegal immigrants amnesty than border protection. Does the President share these concerns?
A. The President doesn’t hate brown people.
Q. This isn’t a racial issue. Many people think this bill will only encourage more illegal immigration and leave our borders open and dangerous. What are the answer to these charges?
A. To answer your underlying question, I’m afraid the the President is against your proposal to commit genocide against Hispanics.
Cracked.com offers the top 10 “secret” celebrity Scientologists and the top 20 “that guys” of all time, both of which are irreverent, crass, curse-ridden and worth a read.
Funky-looking clouds in Nebraska (I recall seeing something similar after a tornado back in MN at one point).
Blogs4God is back with an all-new Pligg-powered setup.
Tattling comes to a cinema near you.
Baby carrots aren’t “baby” anything — they’re re-purposed ugly carrots.
Bruce Willis frequents Ain’t It Cool and other movie-centric message boards and is man enough to prove it to a doubter.
How to fake a smile properly.
10 things you should know about WordPress 2.2 and three things developers will like about it.
Google Maps StreetView is da bomb.
Did I mention that I’m selling stuff now?
Tab Dump, Video Edition
Yesterday felt so cleansing, so freeing that I figured I would continue the practice until I am (nearly) tab free.
Today’s tab dump contains a surfeit of videos, so, you know, less reading.
First up, “Canon in Dork”:
Continue reading “Tab Dump, Video Edition”
Super Link Fighter II: Ultra Hyper Mega Championship Tab Dump Edition
My browsers on each and every machine I have access to have been collecting open tabs like some hideously geeky HTTP-fueled version of Garbage Pail Kids/M.U.S.C.L.E. figurines/Pogs/[insert some other non-Pokemon hackneyed pop cultural reference here] and so, in order to unburden myself fully, I offer the following compendium of links. Consider it some sort of bizarre Internet confessional, wherein you, my loyal readers, bear witness to my hideously packrat-ish collection of links aggregated over too long a time.
Click through, if you dare – there are some real gems, I assure you.
The format goes: [Machine] – [Browser], FYI.
Continue reading “Super Link Fighter II: Ultra Hyper Mega Championship Tab Dump Edition”
Friday Link Dump, July 7th, 2006
I’m thinking I may make this a regular feature, as it helps me get the links on the virtual page and off my tab bar.
- The 10 Commandments of Cell Phone Etiquette. Sounds like a good start to me.
- Top 20 Blog Designs, plus Part Two of the series, making it the Top 40, I guess…
- Alt fuels/kicking our dependence on hydrocarbons – no silver bullet, but is one really necessary?
- The breakdown of modern webdesign – with handy pie charts!
- Nuke tests in the Nevada desert apparently were so intense that they illuminated Los Angeles’ skyline at points. Wild.
- The Logos of Web 2.0 – for all you graphic design geeks out there.
- Web 2.0 design tutorials – ’nuff said.
- Launchy, like Quicksilver, only for Windows.
- You Are A Pirate. That’s the stuff of nightmares right there, kiddies.
- USB-powered Nerf missile launcher.
- Mini radio-controlled helicopter.
- Radio-controlled flying boat. You simply have to watch the demonstration video.
- The Mug of vi References. I need one of those for those early morning config file edits, I tell you whut.
Friday Link Dump
Okay, time to toss out all the nifty links that I stumbled over in the past week but never really made it to “full post” status. Enjoy.
- Kinetic destruction visited upon an old Toyota, rubber band-style.
- Robin Williams guest-starred on “Who’s Line Is It, Anyway?”. Witness the hilarity.
- Do not, under any circumstances, take these guys on in Beiruit/Beer Pong.
- You’ve got to hand it to the Japanese people – a prank show involving sauna ejector seats on a ski hill would get sued into oblivion here in the U.S.
- This week’s Something Awful Photoshop Phriday – Computers in Movies – resulted in some hilarious entries, in particular “Memento” and “The Color #9900FF;”. I laughed so hard that I shed a few tears, but then again, I’m a huge geek, so YMMV.
- The Top 10 Places to Find Free Images for Your Blog from About.com (I wonder, have they looked at acquiring aboot.ca for all their readers from Canadia?)
- Literal translations of old sayings – a Fark photoshop “new classic”.
- The Mac and Linux versions of Songbird have been released. Play music in your browser.
- Re: Your Brains. An ode to officeplace zombies with a distinctively They Might Be Giants flair to it. Heh. (World of Warcraft machinima video here, for those that are interested.)
- Birdy Nam Nam is a quartet of DJs from France that construct their music (almost) entirely using turntables. Their performance of their song “Absesses” was enough to win them a global DJing contest. Wickedly good stuff – their entire album is worth a listen if you can snag a copy.